The “Nouveau Quartier” or new district is the symbol of the flourishing Mulhouse industry. In the 1820s, the city was suffocating from the growing number of factories. Built from 1826 to 1841 near the train station, this business district symbolizes the success of Mulhouse industrialists. It is also called the Bourse district, the Société Industrielle building originally housing the headquarters of the cotton exchange. In Empire style, it is inspired by the Rue de Rivoli in Paris. The triangular shape of the square echoes the industrialists’ membership in Freemasonry. This urban heritage was registered Historic Monument in 1986.