The area of Ungersheim has probably been inhabited since the Roman era. The first mention of Ungersheim has been recorded in a document dated back to 735 in which Count Eberhardt gave land properties located in Annegisvilla - the first name of the village - to the Murbach Abbey.
Around 1130, Ungersheim became the property of the Hapsburg family when they settled in Ensisheim. The noblemen of Ensisheim were the vassals of the Hapsburgs until 1534 when the noblemen of Bollwiller purchased two thirds of the village. After the Thirty Years War which ravaged the village, the Bollwillers' fief went to the Rosens.
The French Revolution, which caused a lot of damage, unified the village and it became independent. In the 19th century, the life of the village was maintained thanks to forestry, agriculture and weaving. However, a certain number of the inhabitants emigrated to the USA.
The village coat of arms - blue with three gold clovers two and one - might represent the land wealth of the village or it might be a distortion of the three roses from the coat of arms of the Count of Rosen from Bollwiller.
Mairie de Ungersheim (Town Hall)
1 place de la Mairie
Tel (33) 03 89 48 11 28
< Staffelfelden / Wittenheim >