The 3000 inhabitants of the village of Morschwiller-Le-Bas, situated to the south west of Mulhouse in the foothills of the Sundgau, enjoy an excellent quality of life with a number of sports and leisure facilities.
Thanks to its convenient road and rail access, the town has a major network of shopkeepers and tradesmen.
In the 1980s a shopping centre was built on the site of a former textile and chemical factory which closed in 1963.
The town’s social and cultural activity is extremely lively with a number of festivals and events organized all year-round.
A Brief History…
Morschwiller-le-Bas was founded as early as 728 under the name Maurswiller (after Saint Maur, a disciple of Saint Benoît, who came to Alsace to spread Christianity and found monasteries). Up until the Revolution, the village frequently changed hands: it belonged to the Lucelle Abbey (1301), the Counts of Ferrette, the “Dornach” family, and the “Zu-Rhein” family (1438).
The inhabitants of Morschwiller-le-Bas are nicknamed "frogs" because of the many ditches that run through the village.
Mairie de Morschwiller-le-Bas (Town Hall)
12 rue de l’Ecole
Tel: (33) 03 89 42 20 95
Fax: (33) 03 89 42 04 70
< Lutterbach / Pulversheim >